This year, I have decided to make the most of pieces in my closet, so I recently decided to style this BCBG dress I have had lying around my closet the past couple of years. It is one of the few mini pieces left sitting in my closet.
I shy away from short pieces these days, because I feel as you grow older, you hardly get maximum wear out of pieces such as this dress. Or maybe I lie? who knows.
Anyway, short pieces can be difficult to style. When styling a short piece, I try to make it classy, so that I draw all the attention away from the fact that it is a short piece. Mini dresses are a sassy and fun alternative to jeans, however, how short is too short? Can you really walk around or sit all day in a mini without being constantly fearful that your underwear is on display to the people around you? Indeed, it can be done – but you really need to be mindful of certain rules. Here’s how I styled my short piece and tips to guide you through a similar look.
1) Be mindful of the sort of underwear you wear with your short piece. The popular saying goes, prevention is better than cure. Keep your underwear classy and simple.
2) Balance out your look. You can throw on a jacket or a vest like I did here, so that your piece comes together nicely and attention isn’t driven in one direction.
3) Avoid ill fitting styles. Mini pieces are tricky, so it’s best you invest in pieces that fit just right.
4) Find what works for your body shape. This is just as important as point three, because pieces that don’t do your body justice might attract worse attention than your mini piece.
5) Bare in mind that your day wouldn’t involve a lot of bending and snapping or even running around in general. You are dressed for the occasion, so enjoy it.
6) Make sure your piece isn’t see through. This reduces the risk of unwanted panty lines. If indeed you have a panty line, a slip is a good way to cover this up or a long jacket/waist coat does the trick. Your jacket will also help add an extra oomph to your overall look.
7) Be in touch with the weather, most especially if your mini is loose fitted. That way, you will avoid unwanted wind lifting up your outfit.
8) Heels will help take your look from basic to fab. Consider throwing a nice pair of heels that compliment your overall look.
Hope these tips help bring your ideal mini look to life. Love the stripe trend? Shop similar below